Welcome

This is my Blog, on it I simply write stuff that I feel like writing about. You'll find it heavily slanted towards tech, games, entertainment and the like. I write about other stuff too, and somethings I write about things. I also do photography, the link is on your right.

Wednesday 18 July 2012



MUSING

I was up very late last night because I couldn't sleep.  Usually when I can't sleep it's because my brain won't shut the fuck up.  So I was sitting there in the dark, and I started thinking about the dark itself.  I think a lot of people find night time and darkness to be unsettling.  Possibly a vestigial emotion from when we were kids. In children, it's not considered to be a phobia, its normal, unless it persists into adulthood.  They call that nyctophobia.  Like any other phobia, it's an intense irrational fear response to an object or situation that poses little or no threat.  As far as darkness goes, I most definitely do not have a phobia of it.  I actually kind of like it.  Don't worry, I'm not going to start spouting bad goth poetry.  My life is not a deep spiraling pit of darkness and despair, crying blood drops instead of tears.  It just makes me feel comfortable, and safe.
So I got to thinking, is there an opposite to a phobia?  I was thinking maybe I had anti-nyctophobia or something like that.  Well, I don't know why, but it took me quite a bit of googling to figure it out, maybe because it was 3 in the morning.  At any rate, the opposite of a phobia is, as near as I can tell, a philia.  As made famous by the word necrophilia, and other such unpleasantries.  A philia is described as "love of or obsession" with something.  So in my case I would have nyctophilia?  That just sounds a little unpleasnt, and possibly contagious.  Also, I'm not obsessed with dark or night time, I just enjoy it's company.  One could say I love night, but I'm not IN love with night.  I'm sorry night, it's not you it's me.

So, as my mind often does, I found it wandering around the internet, dazed, confused and really tired, but still I couldn't sleep.  So I stared reading about phobias...man is there ever some fucked up people out there!  There is quite literally a phobia (and consequentially a philia, and a mania) for absolutely everything!

Here are some of my favorites:

Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words. (really? should that be such a long word?)
Sinistrophobia- Fear of things to the left or left-handed. (I'm left handed, I guess I'm the boogie man)
Teutophobia- Fear of German or German things (to be fair, they are scary)
Theophobia- Fear of gods or religion (smart move)
Anablephobia- Fear of looking up (maybe dogs CAN look up, they're just afraid)
Epistemophobia- Fear of knowledge (you know someone like this, don't you?)
Kyphophobia- Fear of stooping. (dafuq?)
Novercaphobia- Fear of your step-mother. (lol)
Phronemophobia- Fear of thinking (bu-wah?)
and my personal favorite:
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia- Fear of the number 666.

Also, here are some fan favorites, how many do you have? (these are the 10 most common)

1)Acrophobia - fear of hieghts
2)Claustrophobia - fear of enclosed spaces
3)Ophidiophobia- fear of snakes
4)Arachnophobia - Fear of Spiders
5)Trypanophobia - Fear of Injection or Medical Needles
6)Astraphobia - Fear of Thunder and Lightning
7)Mysophobia AKA Germophobia - Fear of Germs
8)Nyctophobia - Fear of the Dark
9)i don't feel like
10)adding 2 more

-jer




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of fear. You should try a free indy game called Slender.

    Don't even look into what it is about. Just play it.

    http://slender.en.softonic.com/

    *Wrong link

    ReplyDelete